FMS Recovery on Facebook


Here you will find a list of questions we are commonly asked. If you have a question or a query that falls outside this list, please email or call us.

What do you require me to do before the vehicle is collected?
Before collection you will need to remove all personal valuables from the vehicle together with the tax disc if you wish to claim a refund from the DVLA.
When should I notify the DVLA?
You should notify the DVLA as soon as we remove your vehicle. You will need to send section 9 which we will stamp with our company details on collection of your vehicle for you to send to the DVLA office.
Do you provide the DVLA with a Certificate of Destruction (CoD)?
Yes, we send the Certificate of Destruction (CoD) and remainder of the V5 to the DVLA to confirm the vehicle has been scrapped in a legal and environmentally friendly way.
Do I need a logbook (V5)?
No, we will inform DVLA that your vehicle has been scrapped by FMS Recovery. Just fill in this police approved form.
Can I get a refund on my unused vehicle tax?
Yes, you will need to complete form V14 (Application for a vehicle licence refund). This can be downloaded from the DVLA web site: Download "Application for refund of vehicle tax" - V14
Why should I do business with you?
We have been in the business of scrapping vehicles since 1957 so we know how to do it well. We are friendly, independently owned business that supports our local community and takes pride in providing exceptional service and we do it all for free.
Are you licenced?
Yes, we are licenced with:
  • Police Regs 2002
  • Council Scrap Metal Dealers Act
  • Licenced Waste Carriers and Hazardous Waste Carriers
We are registered with:
  • DVLA (direct link)
  • EA
  • SIA
  • MVDA
What if I want to keep my number plate?
This is possible however you will need to wait until your application has been approved by the DVLA and you have received your retention document V778.
What is an "end of life" vehicle?
More commonly known as a scrap vehicle, it is usually a vehicle that has either failed an MOT test, is badly damaged, or beyond economical repair, and therefore deemed unfit for road use.
What is S.O.R.N.?
A statutory Off Road Notification. Declare your vehicle as SORN if you are taking the vehicle off the road with the intention of keeping it or using it onprivate land. This applies to vehicles that are registered in your name, and have not been sold, scrapped, or exported.
I want to keep the vehicle for a while - what should I do?
Should any of the above apply, but you decide to keep your vehicle for whatever reason, and for any length of time, inform the DVLA by completing an S.O.R.N. You can do this at the DVLA online services, by phone, or at a Post Office™ branch or when you apply for a refund of vehicle tax.
What are your opening hours?
We are available to take your calls at anytime.
Do you collect on evenings and weekends?
Yes, we will collect at a time that is convenient to you.
How soon can you collect and do I need to be present?
We aim to collect your vehicle within the hour or at a time that is most convenient for you. Yes, you need to be present unless we have made a prior arrangement with you to leave the keys and documents with a neighbour or friend.
What areas of the UK do you cover?
We collect from Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, North London, and other areas.
I don't have the keys to my vehicle - can you still remove it?
My vehicle is not in working order, can you still remove it?
Yes, we are experienced in moving vehicles in all sorts of conditions.
Does my vehicle need to be complete?
Do you remove vehicle shells?
Do you scrap larger vehicles?
Yes, commercials.
Do you donate vehicles to charity?
Yes, we work closely with the Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue and London Fire and Rescue. The vehicles are used for essential practice on gaining access to vehicles in the event of an accident.
Do you sell vehicle spare parts?
No, we don't sell any spare parts.
What is the depollution process?
The first stage is to remove the battery in order to eliminate the risk of a spark. The vehicle will then be taken to the depollution area. Specialist equipment is used to drain the hazardous fluids found on the vehicle, including:
  • Engine oil
  • Transmission fluid
  • Windscreen washer fluid
  • Engine coolant
  • Power steering fluid
  • Brake fluid
  • Shock absorber fluid
  • Fuel
Oil filters are removed and drained. If the vehicle is fitted with air conditioning, the refrigrant is drained. The wheels are removed and the tyres are separated. Once the depollution process has been completed the vehicle can be further processed at a shredder.